top of page

Fire at Multifamily Building on Buller

(City of Winnipeg Release)

Winnipeg, MB – At 3:19 p.m. on Tuesday, April 21, 2020, the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) responded to reports of a fire in three-storey, multi-family complex in the first block of Buller Street. Upon arrival on scene, crews encountered heavy smoke coming from one of the suites and launched an offensive attack. The fire was declared under control at 3:38 p.m. Occupants of the suite self-evacuated prior to the arrival of crews. Firefighters temporarily evacuated two neighbouring suites as a precaution. Paramedics transported one patient to hospital in stable condition. No other injuries were reported. Preliminary observations suggest a malfunction in the operation of a dryer as the cause of this fire. This incident serves as a good reminder to residents to never run their dryer while away from their home. Damage from this fire was minimized because residents were home and able to call 911 before the fire extended beyond the interior of the dryer. Residents can reduce the risk of these types of fires by following these important tips: Have your dryer installed and serviced by a professional to ensure it is in good working order. Do not use the dryer without a lint filter and always clean the filter after each load of laundry. Periodically check the venting system to ensure there is no lint buildup and it is not damaged, crushed, or restricted. Make sure the outdoor vent flap opens when the dryer is running. Never leave a dryer running when leaving your home.


bottom of page