Fire on Leila Avenue


(City of Winnipeg Release)


WINNIPEG – At 3:17 a.m. on Monday, April 27, 2020, the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service responded to reports of a fire in a single-family home in the 500 block of Leila Avenue. When crews arrived on scene, they encountered smoke and flames coming from the home. Crews launched an offensive attack and declared the fire under control at 3:53 a.m. Crews searched the building and found no occupants. No injuries were reported. Preliminary observations suggest the fire began in the laundry room. Residents can reduce the risk of these types of fires by following these important tips: 1. Have your dryer installed and serviced by a professional to ensure it is in good working order 2. Do not use the dryer without a lint filter and always clean the filter after each load of laundry 3. Periodically check the venting system to ensure there is no lint buildup and it is not damaged, crushed or restricted 4. Make sure the outdoor vent flap opens when the dryer is running 5. Never leave a dryer running when away from your home No damage estimates are available.

Please be advised this account is not funded by the City of Winnipeg and does not reflect City policy.

© Kevin Klein -  for Charleswood - Tuxedo - Westwood